Translate

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Addiction Took my Dreams and Turned them into Nightmares


This gallery shows images of me when I was between 20-24 years of age.  While I was very serious about perusing a career in modeling and fashion design, by the time these pictures were taken however, I had already been molested as a child, raped twice as a minor and had been assaulted.  While there was concern for me and advice for me to receive counseling, I never got the help I needed, not till many years later.  As a way to cope, I became an alcoholic and hard drug user. Even though these images may not show it, they are the halfway point of my 13-year drug and alcohol addiction. 
In those years, I was still able to drink and use on a semi-social basis, though things turned from “fun” to necessity quicker than I realized.  My whole world collapsed because of my own poor choices 
and because of the people I associated with.  Looking at these pictures is not easy because I see a person who really tried to succeed and wanted to get away from a bad life. 
Had I known how hard I had to work to get my life back and the struggle I would have go through, I don’t think I would have taken the chances that I have.  Drug and alcohol abuse destroyed all that I ever wanted to be in those years.
Today, I understand that I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude some really terrific people who took a chance on me and gave me a new start.  I keep those people in my thoughts and my prayers each day.